The First Sports and Culture Festival in Bhutan’s Pristine Conservation Sanctuary
The First One-Day International Ultra and Trail Running Events in Bhutan: 25K & 50K
The First International Mountain Biking Events in Bhutan: 25K & 50K
The First Sports & Culture Festival in Phobjikha Valley
The mystical Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan is a land of high mountains, deep valleys, picturesque villages and roaring rivers, and who’s King rules by a concept of ‘Gross National Happiness’. Your 25K or 50K trail running or mountain biking event through this, Buddhist-cultural-wonder, is a rare opportunity to race in an environmentally protected region while surrounded by prayer flags, chortens and remote villages. All on a user-friendly course in the only country on the planet that is carbon-negative. Post race you’ll experience a traditional Bhutanese culture festival overlooking the pristine Valley.
Trail runners and mountain bikers of all abilities welcome.
This Event and Your Travel Package Support the Phobjikha Valley Conservation Sanctuary and the People of Bhutan
Our Race Travel Package has been designed for this unique event by an organization that is not only intimate with Bhutan, but intimate with endurance-racing. Your participation in and travel to this event, will directly support the Tarayana Foundation, the people of the Phobjikha Valley and the endangered Black-Necked Cranes.
We are limiting our numbers for this remote race so REGISTER NOW!
Bhutan Trail & Ultra Event Info
Overview: 25K and 50K, Saturday, 6 April, 2019
- Pre-race packet pick up and race briefing are mandatory, and will take place in Gangtey the day prior to the race. All runners must be in Gangtey on this day.
- 25K and 50K running events both start at 6:30 AM.
- Finish line is at Gangtey Monastery.
- Awards breakfast the day after the event.
- Bhutanese culture festival the afternoon of the event.
- Novice to experienced trail and ultrarunners are all welcome.
- Pacers and crew are not allowed.
- Cut off time for both races is 9 hours.
- We will be sending out multiple pre-race information emails starting 2 months prior to the race. Please make sure we have your correct email address.
- For all registration information, please see the Registration page.
See detailed event information below
Travel to Bhutan Sports Festival
- Experience a unique cultural immersion as well as the first ever endurance sports festival in Bhutan
- Racing in and traveling to this event through the Bhutan Sports Festival travel package, will directly support the people of Bhutan as well as the endangered Black-Necked Cranes.
- For information on travel to Bhutan, click here
- For more information on Phobjikha Valley and Bhutan click here.
- Opportunity to participate in the first ever one day trail running and ultrarunning event in Bhutan
- A picturesque and remote course which circumnavigates the winter migration site of the protected Black-Necked Cranes
- Finish at the auspicious Gangtey Monastery
- Technical race t-shirt
- Finishers medal
- Awards breakfast the day after the event
- Bhutanese culture festival the afternoon of the event
- Bhutanese handcrafted awards for top competitors
- Aid stations and on-course support
- A unique opportunity to run in an environmentally protected conservation reserve which exists specifically to host the Black-Necked Crane’s winter migration
- A unique opportunity to race in the only carbon-negative country on the planet
- The opportunity to support the Tarayana Foundation and the people of Phobjikha Valley through your race entry fee and travel package
- Customized travel package when you book travel through the Bhutan Sports Festival
Apr 6th, 2019 25 KM
Course Type: Single Loop
Apr 6th, 2019 50 KM
Course Type: Single Loop